Friday, April 1, 2011

Cockroaches

Well I didn't quite finish Day 1 on my last post, just ran out of time. And evidently haven't had a lot of time since, so...time to finish it up. After our adventures downtown we headed to Forest Park. It is full of free things to do, and we love free! After getting through the CRAZY St. Patrick's day traffic and finally finding a parking spot we headed to the zoo. This was definitely no one of the highlights of our trip. It was way too busy and we couldn't find a map anywhere. So we just started wandering and hardly found any animals out before we finally just gave up and left. Here are the few gems we were able to see:
A bush dog? Never heard of them, and I think I can see why.
Anteaters. Ugliest things alive.

After that incredibly successful and fascinating trip to the zoo we walked up the hill to the art museum. Only to find out they closed in 10 minutes. So we went inside to get a drink of water (because we were dying of thirst:)) and then just enjoyed the beautiful grounds outside the museum.
You could rent paddle boats and go around on this little lake. We wanted to do it, but giving no thought to the weather we decided we would save it for the next day. But the next day was much cooler and rainy. :( We definitely wish we would have...next time I guess.
Making big leap...he managed to make it. :)

After enjoying the beautiful weather we decided to head for the hotel and some dinner. Traffic was crazy and we thought for a moment that we were going to be stuck on the freeway for the entire evening, but luckily it cleared up pretty quickly. We ate at Bandannas, a BBQ restaurant my cousin recommended. The food was good and our waiter was very interesting. We played some SkipBo before deciding to check out the hotel's pool before it closed. No one else was using it which was kind of nice, and I was able to prove to Brennan that I can in fact swim. :) I just don't think I would fare very well if my life depended on my swimming skills. So we pretty much acted like 16-year-olds, having races and playing catch with a football. It was a blast....until it was time to leave...

...Now the hotel was not the greatest. We booked it through Travelocity where they have "Top Secret" deals. They don't tell you the name of the hotel because the deal is apparently so good. Well there was no way I was booking anything less than a three star hotel through something like this, but we found a pretty good deal on a three star so we decided to do it. We are not picky people, I do not need some sort of fancy pants hotel. Just clean. That's all. But this one did not impress. I kept trying to tell myself it was just old and that didn't mean it couldn't be clean. I will spare you all the details and just fast forward to leaving the pool. I wore my flip flops down to the pool and I moved one with my foot as a put it on and a bug scurried away. At this point I'm freaking out. Then Brennan puts his on and three more run toward the wall. At this point I'm really freaking out. I hate bugs. So Brennan uses our room key to flip them away from the wall so he can see what they are. Cockroaches. Cockroaches. COCKROACHES!!!!
Yeah...ten of them at least. I was a wreck. I felt like I had bugs crawling all over me!!! Worst hotel experience EVER. But...we survived. And continued to have a great trip (our trip really was great, minus the hotel). Which I will finish reporting on later. :) Goodnight.

(Sorry, not sure what's going on with the font, can't seem to fix it.)
Align Center

1 comment: