Sunday, January 30, 2011

Fail

Last weekend I got ambitious and decided to try all new recipes for the weekend. Three nights in a row I made three new recipes that I had never tried before. Miraculously, they all turned out! It was a ton of fun and really very rewarding. The problem is, I must have gotten cocky. How could I help it? Three new meals turning out not only edible but kind of yummy, quite frankly. Clearly I am getting pretty skilled in the kitchen. :) So when this weekend rolled around I thought I'd branch out again. This time though I went for homemade bread. My mom has always made bread and it has always been delicious. So I called her up and I told her that I have made banana bread, cheese bread, and spaghetti bread. What's a step up but still something I can handle was my question. She assured me that her white bread recipe is a walk in the park. So I got it from her and went for it. It was enough to make two loaves so I planned to leave one plain white and the other cinnamon swirl. Long story short....it didn't rise. I waited. And waited. And waited some more. It was suggested that maybe my house was too cold. So I put it in the oven on warm. That helped a little, but it still wasn't doing much. Several hours, many phone calls, and a lot of frustration later the rather pitiful looking loaves were put in the oven. Here are the results:
It is edible, which is more than I hoped for when I put it in the oven. But it's pretty dense. Brennan tried to make me feel better by saying "It's like two slices of bread in one." Thanks, Brennan. :) So all I can figure is I must have gotten cocky (I really don't remember feeling prideful about my cooking abilities) and it was time to learn a little humility.
Lesson learned.

3 comments:

  1. Haha, that is a funny comment by Brennan. Also kind of funny that your house is too cold for bread to rise!!! Maybe that should tell you something. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, maybe if you had made them before your VTs came, they would have risen more because we just bring so much warmth. :) hehe! Honestly, I think they look great! You are brave to make bread! you crafty person, you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My house wasn't too cold!! And Wendy, why didn't I think of that?? Of course that was the problem! :) Haha, oh yeah, I'm REAL crafty...or not..

    ReplyDelete